Will Cornish Cross chickens jump/fly over a 3' fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tbone101, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Tbone101

Tbone101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I have 45 cornish cross chicks right now. They are In a tub right now, but when they get older ill put them in the coop. Outside of the coop I have a 3' garden fence to keep them contained, but I am worried they might get out.

This is my first time raising them so I don't know how high they can jump/fly.

Son if you could help me that would be awesome. Thanks!

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    My barred rocks can jump three feet straight up easily. I would say yes, at full growth your cornish would be able to get over a 3' fence. I'd build 6 ft just to be on the safe side. You could also clip their wings. The cornish I had as a kid were our meat chickens so they didn't have access to a run but a very large enclosed coop. The run for our layers was very tall. Probably 8-10ft.

3. Tbone101

Tbone101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks. Will they try to get out or will they be content at where they are at?

4. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    My Cornish Cross can barely get up enough energy to feed themselves. I don't think they could clear an 8" fence...[​IMG]

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Cornish crossare not normal chickens, they grow so fast they often have problems walking. They are not going to fly anywhere unless you have them on a very limited diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by