Will Dad Rooster assimilate the daughters into his flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by they'reHISchickens, Nov 1, 2009.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Dad Rooster is an EE who is a good guardian. He has a harem of 5, one of whom hatched a clutch July 30. This baby group of 4 pullets and 2 roos ( I think) have been keeping themselves separate while free-ranging although I force them to use the same coop at nite.
    When the daughters mature, will the old roo *claim* them or will 2 separate flocks emerge with a young rooster leading the youngsters?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The top roo will likely take in all the girls and exile the boys once they hit maturity. The boys may or may not be able to stay in the same coop when they are mature.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    As long as the current rooster remains the dominant rooster he will be the one most likely breeding the daughters.

In general it is considered a better mating if you mate sire to daughter as opposed to siblings. If you allow those young roosters to grow up you are going to have hens shredded by over mating. You will need to make some decisions regarding the extra roosters that you are producing.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Thank you. I expect I will wait til the group matures and then have some chicken soup:) Next Spring's plan is to set some Welsummer eggs when I get a broody and then get an unrelated Welsummer roo to take over the entire flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by