will decorative fencing keep them out of the flower beds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by technodoll, Jan 26, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I would love for my flocks to free-range as soon as the snow melt, but they will wreck the flower beds and landscaping...

Somehow 12 acres of green grass isn't enough for them [​IMG]

Would this type of fencing discourage them from going places they shouldn't or would they just hop over it?

[​IMG]

Thoughts, experiences?

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    A few of mine bothered to hop over, but most just reached their heads through. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nope it won't stop them.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls can fly to the top of my 7' gazbo and sit up there.. that fence would not keep them out of the buffet line.. Sorry..

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    no not even close.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In a larger free range operation, it is almost easier to fence off the house and the acre it sits on. This is common practice in colonial times when goats, chickens, sheep, etc roamed the estates. Give 30 chickens free access and they will pretty much slash and burn a couple of acres.
    This is why those who use chicken tractors move them every week, on this principle. The ground under the tractor get pulverized, tilled and saturated with fertilizer in about a week's time.

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Critter ranch!!!! Your Avi is the cutest pic ever!!! [​IMG]
    Yep....as far as gardens and landscaping and chickens go...my flock has eaten our side yard down to a barren waistland and they have wrecked my side yard flower beds and front yard flower beds....I'm thinking of replacing my mulch this year with rocks(I don't think they can eat ROCKS!!![​IMG]) and I've figured out that they can't destroy roses![​IMG] although they do nibble on them! Mine have 5 acres ...but it's really not their fault...I'm the dumby that keeps buying more chickens![​IMG] My Hubby has agreed to build me bigger coops so we can dedicate one whole area as the "Chickie Zone" and they can go nuts destroying it![​IMG]

8. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have fencing like that and it works for my 3. My fence covers narrow areas like 3 ft wide X 10ft long. The girls have put their heads throught it, but they loose interest and move on.

9. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Mine figured out how to get around one end. They then proceeded to destroy my flower beds and then pushed and scratched at the fence until it was down. I will have to go industrial this spring!

10. WV_Chicken

WV_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Augusta, WV
    My chickens squeeze themselves through Sheep fencing, so I think they could squeeze through the openings near the bottom of your fencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by