Will deer netting work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by scorwin, Jul 30, 2011.

1. scorwin

scorwin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I'm still in the planning stage. My coop will be built inside a dog run that will be made secure. It's on a concrete slab. I was wondering if I could stertch deer netting using t-posts out onto dirt and grassy areas to give them more freedom> That way it could be moved around a little. I'd only let them out there when I was around. Most of the area has good cover.
    Thanks.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Absolutely. However be aware that depending on the breed, some can fly over a 7 foot or more foot fence. And of course if it is not covered, hawk attack is always an issue. But if you are around most of the time and can look in on them occasionally, I don't see why it wouldn't work. [​IMG]

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I love deer fence!! I have it over all my runs so they dont roost on top of the fence at night and to keep Hawks out. It can be a little annoying putting it up though. [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I use plastic fencing and have not had any issues.It is great because with T posts or bamboo poles and zip ties I can move their area all over.I have only had issue with them sneaking UNDER the fence,so you might need to use garden stapes to secure the bottom at times.

I put the below fencing up one morning,and then lol,took it down to put them in the far back yard(flies).
    [​IMG]

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Oh my plastic fencing is 4 feet high and 5o feet long.It was $8 or $10 last year at Lowes,but they doubled the price.The deer fencing was cheaper this year.

6. scorwin

scorwin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Oh good, that seems like a good way to go so that I can move it around a little.
    You guys are a great help : ))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by