We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Will diatomaceous earth cure gape worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cinnamon the easter egger, May 5, 2018.

1. Cinnamon the easter egger

Cinnamon the easter egger Hatching

May 5, 2018
    Hi there. I have a 3 month old chick that has gape worm and I would like to know if diatomaceous earth will cure it. If it can't, what else can I do?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    No. DE will not cure worms of any kind. For gapeworm, you can treat with Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a rate of 0.23cc/mL per pound for 5 consecutive days, or Valbazen at 0.08cc/mL per pound for 3 consecutive days.

3. :welcome

The good news is that all DE will do for internal parasites in chickens is to lighten your pocket book by the same amount that you paid out for the Diatomaceous Earth.

TheYLWFlock likes this.
  4. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :thumbsup :welcome

5. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Are you 100% sure it's gapeworm?
    And no, IMHO, diatomaceous earth will not.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Agreed.

While it won't necessarily hurt to treat your chick with a dewormer, having confirmation of worms is always a good idea.
    If what you are seeing is "gaping", difficulty breathing, etc., there can be many causes of that type of behavior.

A video or photos may be helpful. For video upload to youtube/vimeo and provide us a link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: