Will Diatomite (DE or diatomaceous earth) harm my chickens?

elabraleon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver
My friend told me DE is great as a drying agent for use in shavings and mechanical lice/tick killer, as well as antiparasitic. She said something about food grade, but I was wondering whats the difference? Isnt it a mineral? Is there really such thing as food grade/non food grade?

UGH! This subject has been beaten like a dead horse. Lots of opinions out there. Yes it helps keep the coop dry. Yes there is Food grade,it means there is no added cemical. Yes you need to use food grade. DE is fossil material. It does not prevent any worms. It helps(in my opinion) with flies in the warm weather. Many will tell you it is silica and its useless sand. Read and do some research and try it. You will have to decide for yourself. I like it in my coop where I use the deep litter method.

yes it can if used incorrectly I advice to only sprinkle Lightly and I mean so light as if a mouse runs across it theres no dust.makes sure you have proper ventilation. it is a wonderful mechanical pesticide But very dangerous for you and anyone or anything to breath in exessive amounts.I use it inside a sock with a respitory mask. and lightly shake it in the areas I am dusting.

If it gets under your dentures, it will turn you gums into raw mush.
sickbyc.gif

I had good results when I used it and need some more also. Along with the chicken coops, I want to use it around the stray cats that we're taming (seem to have a few fleas).

There was an ad link at the bottom when I read this, and I followed it to what looked like a decent source for DE: www.earthworkshealth.com

I ordered some from there just now because I ran out awhile ago. It was much cheaper online than I got from the feed store. I've never ordered from them before, so I can't offer insight into this website; I just followed the link. If you are shopping for DE, check if there's an ad for it below now; the owner of the BYC site may get some credit if you click the ad link instead of using the url I put in.

Quote:
Maybe I'm not using the search function properly, but when I search I get these long lists of threads with millions of posts, and cant even find where in the threads my keywords appear. sorry to be obnoxious. I tried to search it before asking.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom