Will DLM work in this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Connorrm, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So here is the situation -

About a month ago, I decided I wanted to revamp my rabbitry. I have a two car garage, the Rabbit Building, and a drive under garage/basement. I decided it would be nice to move the rabbits to the two car garage. Then I got thinking it would be too hard to heat/cool.

Long story short - Rabbits are moved to the drive under basement (has heat/AC/running water [​IMG] ). Now the rabbit building (which has heat/ac too hehe) is going to be the chicken coop.

It's made out of Freezer panels from my buddy's walk in cooler company. It does get a little damp in there never any puddles but it's on several underground wells. It has a rough concrete floor two windows on either side of the building. It's 17' long, by 8' wide and 9' tall at the front and 6' tall at the back (slopes down to keep the snow off it). Has an insanely high R-factor and heats to about 45 in the winter from just the animals and lighting. Never have frozen water.

So will this size building work for DLM? Also, will it be too small in winter if I want to keep the birds in on bitter cold days? Right now I have 12 chickies brooding. I'm sure several are Roos for the oven, so I'm going to guess on 8 layers. Is this sufficient in size? I have no idea how many peeps can fit in which size building. Is it okay to do DLM in a slightly damp environment? Should I use Shavings/hay/straw? Which would be best in this type of situation?

I do plan on letting them free range once they're about 5 months old. Other than that they'll be locked up tight every night and until they're 5 months. Thanks for any help/advisement.

2. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Sorry, Bumping! It's almost on the second page!

3. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I'm new to this myself, friend, but that size 'coop' is big enough for 34 standard chickens and THEN some from all I've read (3 to 4 feet sq inside per chick)! I plan to try DLM and see how it works for me, but my place will be elevated and 64'sq compared to your 134'sq, so cleaning it once a year will be considerably easier.

If your floor gets damp, I would DEFINITELY raise it and/or insulate to block the moisture (pallets with wire top?), since the hens are going to bring in their own moisture and, from what I've read, don't really do well in 'damp'.

Most of what I've read says that hay is harder to clean than shavings, but maybe a layer of hay to absorb/block the damp, then pallets and small wire, then shavings. Don't know that you can put enough sand or dirt that wouldn't sift down and become mud... [​IMG]

Also depends on where you are, how much the place is ventilated, etc...

More than that, I can't help ya'! I'm gonna be watching to see what the more learned folks have to say...[​IMG] [​IMG]

Good Luck, and watch out for that chicken math with THAT size coop! [​IMG]

4. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Hmmm, yes, that makes sense about the dampness I suppose. In the winter I know it won't be a problem. It'll be bone dry in there. I guess I can pop out the windows or put chicken wire over them for now. that will help keep it dry in the spring/summer/fall.

Then in the winter I can seal it back up. So the size is fine then for the 12 chicks I got now? They can be shut in there and that will be ample room?

5. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    So the size is fine then for the 12 chicks I got now? They can be shut in there and that will be ample room?

That gives each of 'em 11 square feet; GRACIOUS plenty according to the recommendations.
    Careful, tho, or they'll be inviting all the neighborhood chicks over for raves! If you see the walls pulsing or they install a disco ball, keep an eye on 'em!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    TouchO'Lass :

So the size is fine then for the 12 chicks I got now? They can be shut in there and that will be ample room?

That gives each of 'em 11 square feet; GRACIOUS plenty according to the recommendations.
    Careful, tho, or they'll be inviting all the neighborhood chicks over for raves! If you see the walls pulsing or they install a disco ball, keep an eye on 'em!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hehehe! If I hear any loud music, I'll definitely know something is up!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by