Will doves get along with chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nelliebean, Apr 6, 2011.

1. nelliebean

nelliebean New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Hello ~

I don't have my peeps yet but was wondering if chickens and doves can live together?

My chicken run is 80 feet long and 14 feet deep. The top is covered with chicken wire.

The coop is actually a build over of an 6.5x6.5 shed with an A- frame roof.

I really am enjoying this site!

2. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    I myself would not let chickens run with my doves. The chickens run them off of the food on the ground and they are ground eaters. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Welcome [​IMG]

I would be inclined to say yes because I used to keep Doves in with parakeets and finches. Doves are very peaciful and have different nesting needs. But I dont know if there are other problems with mixing with chickens. I used to feed using a regular hanging wild bird feeder.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    I have a covered run and a pop door for the chickens to leave the run and free range. Sometimes a dove finds its way into the chicken yard and if the girls can catch it on the ground, they will kill it and eat it. [​IMG] It has happened a few times. Not as often as it would if I didn't shoo the doves out the open people door when I find them in the run. [​IMG]

5. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i regularly have wild doves stroll into the coop to help themselves to the chickens' food. my hens let them and won't go near the feeder with the dove on it. drives me crazy. i'd prefer they attacked.

6. nelliebean

nelliebean New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Those are some serious chickens! I'd better not take the chance. Thanks for your response.

7. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    My girls have somehow decided to share their space with the small grey doves believe it or not! It's rats they don't want hanging around. Sienna has killed 3 rats single-wingedly. [​IMG] The chaos is unbelievable.

I think it's a personal choice hehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by