Will Duckie Crush Chickie??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, this is Rex my Pekin duck and he is 2 weeks old. He lives with my little Silkie who is 3 weeks old. Rex is growing at such a fast rate compared to the Silkie, I worry he will crush it. When I hold one, the other peeps real loud. Its soo cute! At what age could I tell the duck's sex? They are inseparable! [​IMG]
    Here's last weeks pic
    [​IMG]

Here's this week!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The silkie is behind the duck in one of these photos...

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh, my GOSH, they are so cute together!! I wouldn't bet my life on it but I don't think you need to worry. Your silkie is probably old enough to fend for himself. Do they cuddle up at night to sleep together? I'd LOVE to see a picture of that!! What is your darling little silkie's name? Rex is darling, too!!!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    They are old enough to be together at that size. Babette my first born Runner duck (started out Bubba), and my son's little Charlotte, and Woo and Nugget have all been together since the were little and Babette never squashed anyone.

4. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hey! i actually only own a silkie chick and a duckling! lol. and there great together, there 4 months old now and completely inseparable. i was supposed to give them to someone but i cant bring myself to do it. heres a pic:
    them when they were little:
    [​IMG]
    them now :-D:
    [​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    We haven't named the Silkie yet.. Waiting to figure out the sex. Needless to say I have 2 hens outside Frank and Elizabeth. The kids named the eggs before they hatched. Yes, they do cuddle to sleep at night, the chick now sleeps on the duck, the duck used to "try" to sleep under the chick until the past few days when I guess he realized he don't fit under anymore. If I hold the chick, the duck tries to jump out of the cage to get to it, same when I hold the duck. It is too cute, but I just never realized how much faster the duck grows. I am amazed. I will try to get a pic of them sleeping, but they jump up when I enter the room..

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:TOO CUTE!! Love the names!! [​IMG] Looks like mine are staying too!Was the size difference a problem as they got bigger??

7. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Okay. Thanks!! Looking forward to more pics. [​IMG]

8. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    GOSH yours are beautiful, too, stumble_n_mumble! Both snow white. How pretty!

9. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    its actually quite funny. ive never! had a problem with the silkie or the duck. the duck is so darn protective of the silkie it is not even funny! i tried bringing in 2 sex-links and the duck started to beat them up so i had to place them at a friends lol. I remember when the duck was little i would put my knees on the floor and sit like that and he was desperately try to jump on my lap! haha. Also when they get older it gets VERY VERY TOUGH to keep the floor dry from the duck splashing everywhere. i can send you how i am keeping mine because ive had them inside since they were born. The silkies do not like being wet so it gets hard. but i have faith, i did it, YOU CAN DO IT! youll fall in love and they will never leave :-D!!!!!!!

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Any ideas on helping with the duck mess would be appreciated! I use paper towels on the bottom, but the duck actually wets it so it can eat it all. I clean them 4 times a day. It is annoying, but until its warmer, there is no outside for them either. I have 2, 1 year old females outside in the coop with the chickens, they all get along well. I am hoping this little guy is a "guy" so I can mate the females. We'll see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by