will ducks come back to pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaybats, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I have 4 ducks about 4 months old. They have been in their new pen (8 x 8) for abot 2 months now. I have nice big pond approx. Half acre away from the barn where duck pen is. I really want to start letting them enjoy the pond.

So my question is, will they return to pen like chickens do to coop?

2. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    I don,t know how this posted twice! First time posting from phone. Maybe I did something wrong [​IMG]

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    my geese and ducks are like my kids. they will stay out as long as they can. Even long after my chooks go to roost. If I want them in sooner, I have to herd them in. But about 1-2 hours after sunset, they go in on their own.

Have fun with your ducks. What kind are they?

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine do/did... we don't lock them in the pen anymore but come dusk they all waddle back to the pen/barn area.. Definitely start keeping an eye out as the sun drops.. and be prepared that they may need to be herded back...

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    if thier foods there, yes. [​IMG]

6. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I have 1 Ancona, 2 Cayuga and 1 Blue Swedish. They are great---I love them! Every morning when they hear me pull up on the tractor they start quack, quack, quacking! It's terrific.

But even though they 'sound' like they are happy to see me, as soon as I step into the pen they run from me like I'm coming at them with a broad axe! [​IMG] This is what I'm most afraid of about letting them loose. I'm currently working on fencing in a big area around the pen and now that I've cut down much of the tall grass and bushes, they can see the pond. I've noticed that they now hang around the south side of the pen and to me, it looks like they are looking at the pond longingly. I'm sure they would love to get out there. But I don't want to lose anybody!

I guess it will just take time and patience to get them into a routine.

7. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    If you feed them in the pen at the same time (sunset) every evening they will know it's time to go home for dinner. When I'm running late mine beat me to the open cage and wait for me! QUACK QUACK!!! YOU'RE LATE MOM-QUAAAAACK!!!

We had a monsoon whip through last week and I had to take down the pen because I was too afraid of it falling on them or them getting stuck or drowned in a flash flood. it stayed down for a couple days and they STILL went to the spot the cage usually is, at dinner time to wait for me to bring food.

Clever little blighters. <3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I think maybe I stress too much about 'doing the right thing'. Being new to chickens, ducks......the whole farming thing....I am LEARNING that they DO know what's best for themselves and some times I have to take a step back.

Thank you all. It took forever and a day for me to let my chickens out to free range. Miraculously, I can now go back to the house to make a hot lunch for myself while chickens are out!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Their still pretty young and I would be worried to, like you said your working on a larger area for them that will be fenced, just start there and give them time to get use to it then go from there. With a pond you have to think about how your going to get them off of it when it gets toward dark. Food is a great motivator and like most said if they know where the food is most likely they will come to it. I have to start watching mine when it gets on in the afternoon, and when they start getting close to their house and food I close them up inside that fenced in area. That way I know I can get them inside at dusk. A small kiddie pool would be fine till you feel comfortable with them going to the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by