Will ducks drown eachother?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 19trax95, Jun 25, 2016.

1. 19trax95

19trax95 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    I have 6 Pekin ducks and there are 4 males and 2 females. I know this may not be the best ratio and I am waiting to see if they start fighting.

But when they go in their little pond, sometimes one will get on the back of a female and keep it under until the one goes for air.

I'm not sure if this is them mating, or if they are being malicious. They don't really be agresssive to eachother otherwise though.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Young drakes learning how to mate or multiple drakes gang breeding the same hen frequently results in the drowning of the hen. If it were me, I would remove 3 drakes from the flock - immediately.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have one Drake for one hen. Two standard sized Ducks and two Bantams. I am prepared and ready to separate at a moments notice if the Standard male gets to aggressive with my tiny hen.
    I sold the other Drakes before things got out of hand with the ducks.

4. 19trax95

Mar 20, 2016
    I had a feeling that's what was going on. I will separate the 3 drakes. Likely will have to adopt them out unfortunately since building them a separate pen isn't in the budget at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  5. 19trax95

Mar 20, 2016
    Figured I'd update. I was able to keep them separate but they got out and continued to try and mate.

So I adopted 3 drakes out today. I kept the 2 females and the biggest but most kind acting drake. He never did the drowning thing or was agresssive.

So now it's just the 3 of them. The females are laying eggs as well. I found one under my deck today so I can only assume they have been laying them for a little bit. Unfortunately they aren't laying them in the house I built for them, and I can only assume they just find the most comfortable spot for them and lay them there.

And perhaps since it should be more calm for them now, they will lay at least in their cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by