Will ducks eat my Tulips and Daffodils?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FLOWERPOT, Apr 20, 2008.

1. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Will ducks eat my Tulips and Daffodils? and if so will it hurt them? (The ducks)
    I am wanting to get 2 or 3 and put them in the back yard in an area that is fenced in with a small pond (no fish)
    Its a good size for a run 100ft. x 30 ft.
    also I have a dog house out there the dog never used, Can I convert it into an enclosure for them or would 2 or 3 need more space for a coop?

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I know deer will eat them....Not sure about the ducks.

I am enjoying seeing the chickens eat the dandelions in my yard though!

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I think they'll only eat the daffodils if you don't want them to... I had a doghouse in with my geese, they only used it to nest in. They seem to prefer to be outside. Just make sure your pond is easy to drain and refill, you will be surprised how fast they can muck it up!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes. They love to dig up bulbs and eat them. It's what ducks do best, dig into the ground and eat roots/bulbs.

5. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Tulips are tasty and harmless.

Daffodils can be poisonous. Daffs are related to amaryllis and loaded with belladonna. None of my birds bother my daffs because their are so many more tasty choices. They do often crush them going for something else.

I did have a young goat many years ago that ate a bunch of daffs. I sat with her for hours making sure she was ok. She honestly was pretty stoned and probably had the clearest sinuses in the county. Pretty much stuck with her all day making sure nothing progressed beyond groggy. Was ready to throw her into the car and hightail it to the vet if anything changed.
    She snapped out of it and never touched them again. Her brother and mother never touched the daffs.

6. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Yeah, daff's are very toxic - especially the bulbs. When we lived in Wyoming they were the only thing I could grow that the resident deer herd wouldn't touch. They'd even decimate roses bushes, thorns and all, but wouldn't touch the daffs.

I've read (somewhere, a long time ago) that Roman soldiers used to carry daffodil bulbs with them and if captured by enemies would eat one to prevent being questioned by the enemy. (similar to today's cyanide tablets).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by