will egg size change after a molt? **pics added**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dar, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a freeloading EE Ginger... she has not given me a egg in weeks , but when I was getting eggs from her they were XL

she has finished a molt about a month ago and still no eggs till today i find a wee lil blue egg (i will add pics later camera is recharging) I do have ee pullets though too and a silkie X EE cross so it could be one of their eggs too..

So is it normal to have a reduction in egg size after a vacation from laying or would you say this was from one of the pullets or the silkie X EE (the pulets and silkie X EE are the same age)

Thanks

the brown ones on the ends are from my standard girls, the little white one is from one of my silkies, and then there is the mystery blueish/greenish egg
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have found that my when my 18 month olds molt, the eggs become bigger. I have not seen any of them get smaller.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My hens are now laying eggs considerably larger than they were before their molt.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    ok i just uploaded the pic... who dunnit? lol

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Mine are laying jumbo size eggs post molt too. I think I've read about some hens needing a week or two to get back up to speed/size post molt, but that has not been my experience.

6. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I know this is an old thread but this is the same question I was going to post. In July I hit my first full year of owning chickens. Now they are molting and have been for a while. I was just wondering about the size of eggs after they molt will they be bigger, smaller, or stay the same size? What has your experience been?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by