Will eggs still hatch in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovelyduckling, Nov 22, 2016.

1. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    I need help. My hen is laying eggs again and it's getting real cold. The eggs have been outside for awhile until I recently brought them inside. If she goes broody and I put the eggs under her will they still hatch even though they have been in very cold weather? Hoping we can get some more chicks for more hens. It may be cold but they can handle it. Pls help!Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If they have been exposed to very cold temperatures then I would assume the embyros would be dead or never started, though if you had a way to keep the coop warm or if she went broody and stayed on the eggs (is sitting and still laying eggs so they aren't exposed to some bitter cold weather or breezes) then they hopefully would be okay. :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. Fidah G

Fidah G New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Tanzania
    Yeah,me too.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    People hatch refrigerated fertile eggs from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods all the time. As long as the egg isn't frozen prior to incubation, they should be fine. Eggs do not spontaneously develop.

6. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    Yes, thank you so much for your help!

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Keep in mind, fertile eggs are only viable for about 2 weeks. So collect daily. If she goes broody, pop the most recent eggs under her. Otherwise, feel free to use those eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by