Will eggs with blood rings explode?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fleabuskitty, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but I shall ask it anyway. So, I have 46 eggs in the incubator and a few (didn't count but luckily I don't think too many) look like they have blood rings. There is a thick-ish (a little thicker than the spider-web veins) red line around the egg. Not like a circle but actually around the circumference of the egg, a lot like this. I really don't want exploding eggs because I have expensive BBS Ameraucana eggs in there and from what I've read, when one explodes you have to throw out all of the eggs that get exploded on, but I also don't want to be wrong and accidentally throw out a developing chick. Would it be "safe" to leave the eggs in the incubator, or will they explode without warning? I would notice a smell or "weeping" because I turn the eggs by hand and when I candle them I leave them in place and put the flashlight and pretty much my whole head in the incubator [​IMG] I strongly dislike the idea of exploding eggs, if you haven't guessed.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It looks like a blood ring to me. If it doesn't look like the eggs you know for sure are developing, I would get rid of them. Just my opinion.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    What day are you on? I'd mark a ? on the eggs that you think are bad and re-candle them in a day or two and if no change or progress then, get rid of them. I'm a newby at hatching and candling so, I would want to be sure before, I pitched them.

4. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    They're on day 11. Thanks, I'm going to candle them tonight and compare them to the ones that are developing and I guess throw out the ones that aren't.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Good thinking, I've read that the blood rings are the ones that do explode. It's bacteria so will continue to grow and Kaplewie! A horrible stinking mess. It's never happened to me...as I'm knocking on a press board wood desk.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

Wait a day or two and then follow bobbi-j's advice if there is no sign of further development.

7. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have only ever had 1 egg explode and it was sweating. It was getting little crunchy things stuck to it and I went to pick it off and POP! [​IMG] I don't think I tossed out the rest of the eggs though.

8. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    Baggagolers, that is so gross [​IMG] I hope that doesn't happen with these!
    Actually, I recall the some of the quail eggs I ordered a while back getting little yellow-ish things on them. I assumed that it was just some sort of "gunk" from the cage, but only 2 out of the 3 dozen hatched, so maybe they were starting to get like yours? I'm glad they didn't explode! I can't candle eggs during the day because of windows, but tonight I am going to candle every single egg at mark the ones with blood rings. Then I will candle them again tomorrow night and I guess throw out the ones that haven't changed? I think I would notice the "sweating", but it's probably best not to take chances.
    Thanks everyone for all of the information!

9. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    It was gross and yes I think that's what was going on with your eggs. The stuff I picked at was yellow.

10. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    I'm glad I didn't pick at the quail eggs! I candled them a little bit ago and despite the light from windows it worked alright. It looks like 14 of them have blood rings (I marked them), leaving me with 32 that look good. 7 of the ones with blood rings are BBS Ameraucana eggs, which is disappointing, but they were shipped...
    Oh, hey another question! I know that shipping eggs can cause issues with the yolk and white being mixed up or messed up air bubbles so that chicks never start developing, but how does shipping cause them to quit once they start developing? Blood rings are from chicks that began to develop and then died, right? Or are they actually just bacteria that get into the egg no matter if there was a chick or not?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by