Will electric fence keep racoons out?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Azriel, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I have been having a mother racoon and 3 babies hanging arround. They go into my barn and eat the cat food, and get into the garbage when they can. So far they haven't gone near the chickens. I don't have a safe coop built yet, they have a 3 sided leanto that they go in at night, and a covered 12x16 chain link dog kennel as an attached run area. If I put a 3 wire electric fence arround the chicken area will it keep the coons out till I can get rid of them.

2. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    It probably will, but racoons are notorious for being crafty. Try to keep an eye (or 2) out for them.

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I don't believe that they can jump well. Based on that I'd recommend enough wires so that they'd be forced to use them as hand holds and thereby raising the probability of getting a zap.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    maybe

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The other option is to Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. This is normally referred to as SSS.

6. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    trap em

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    DH has seen the light, or rather, the hideous damage to our corn and tomatoes, from specified and unspecified critters - has agreed that a fence around the garden and chickens/orchard is in order. I want to add electric around the chicken area at least...so

We're in a rural subdivision. While I think any little or big brats creeping around my back garden gets what's coming in this case, I'd most likely better be a little circumspect. Ideas?

What various heights for electric strands? 6", 12" and 3 foot?

solar or house line? I'm leaning to solar despite the expense, due to code akwardness in running the lines out there.

If I SSS, then all the critter's family shows up for the funeral and think I've set out a buffet for the wake.

Grandma had that same problem with her barn cats - leaving out the feed for them attracted everything else. Anyone have suggestions on that problem? My neighbor thought it cute to feed the raccoons on her porch, until I asked if she thought the skunk living under her porch was cute, too. (will I go to hell for that lie?) she stopped that.

8. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:Guy in the neighborhood turned loose 100 squirrels. (50 male 50 female) 30 years ago. Because he liked squirrels. I haven’t gotten a pecan off my tree since and they eat our Macaws food out of his daytime, outside cage. Funny how they seem to know when we're not around. I SAS (shot, ate and shut up) for years but couldn’t dwindle the population. I wish I could have SSS the guy that turned them loose.

Back on subject. This, http://www.kencove.com/fence/99_Energizer+Installation_resource.php shows several ways to hook up an electric fence. Adapt as necessary. [​IMG]

I like the second illustration. I think I’d make every other strand + and every other -. Zap um every step of the way. [​IMG]

Just found this http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex888 shows exactky what I was talking about.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:Guy in the neighborhood turned loose 100 squirrels. (50 male 50 female) 30 years ago. Because he liked squirrels. I haven’t gotten a pecan off my tree since and they eat our Macaws food out of his daytime, outside cage. Funny how they seem to know when we're not around. I SAS (shot, ate and shut up) for years but couldn’t dwindle the population. I wish I could have SSS the guy that turned them loose.

I feel for you, we had a neighbor move out and let their pigeons loose, needless to say I still have netting on my roof.

[​IMG]

Back on subject. This, http://www.kencove.com/fence/99_Energizer+Installation_resource.php shows several ways to hook up an electric fence. Adapt as necessary. [​IMG]

I like the second illustration. I think I’d make every other strand + and every other -. Zap um every step of the way. [​IMG]

Just found this http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex888 shows exactky what I was talking about.

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes! An electric fence will keep a coon away.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never ever say "good enough". Because what is good enough today will not be good enough for tomorrow. Predator control is never ending, always evolving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by