Will Embden geese raise babies on their own?

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
My geese have been faithfully sitting on nests full of eggs. I was about ready to give up on any of them hatching, but this morning I saw some broken egg shells and then little fuzzy heads sticking out from under one of the moms. So now what? Do I leave the babies with Mom? Will she teach them how to eat and drink? It's still getting cold at night, low 30's, will she keep them warm enough? Should I provide a heat lamp to the whole family? Take the babies and put them in a brooder with a lamp? I'd like to leave them with the mom if there is hope of her being able to care for them. Any advice on this would be welcome. Thanks!

Hi

Firstly Congratulations
celebrate.gif

I think I would be inclined to leave Mum well alone and leave her to it. She should see to all the needs of the babies. Be observant in case she leaves the nest with the older babies and leaving hatching eggs behind. You cant stop her as the urge to lead the little ones off the nest will be strong when she thinks they're ready. Doesnt always happen but you could try the unhatched eggs in the incubator.

Pete
wink.png

I would leave mum and babies alone.
Geese are pretty good mothers (most of the time!).

She should be able to keep them warm enough.
Just keep an eye on her and the babies. As long as she has draft free shelter, her and babes should be OK.

The cool thing about goslings is, they know from birth how to eat and drink (well, again... most of the time!).

Good luck and congrats on those little ones! They must be adorable!

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for your replies. I did end up moving mom and babies temporarily into an indoor pen. When I got home from work yesterday she had moved them off the nest (leaving one egg, which I donated to one of the other four geese who are sitting) and they were all out in the open and the babies were shivering. It was only about 40 degrees yesterday, and breezy. She wasn't happy about being moved, but I thought it was just too cold and exposed where they were. Plus, the water source for the geese has been the river that borders our property, and it is pretty fast moving. I know the babies wouldn't be ready for that.

They are adorable! I looked at them this morning and one was poking its head up through mom's wing, just taking in the world. She had the rest totally obscured under her wings. I guess she probably could have handled keeping them warm if I had left her alone, but I feel better this way. Now I wait to see if the other four geese hatch their eggs. I could end up with 60+ goslings if even most of these eggs hatch. I REALLY don't need that many geese!

Back
Top Bottom