1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will experienced but only semi broody hen take foster chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ravenseye57, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I have a Dark Cornish hen that raised chicks last summer. She was an excellent mother. I have 4 wellsummer chicks arriving Wednesday and I was hoping when I said I would take them (2 weeks ago) that she would foster them since she's been acting broody... spending a lot of time on a favorite nest, sleeping on the nest, and acting touchy and dominant. She hasn't settled down to a serious broodiness though. She gets off the nest regularly for pretty long periods, maybe because I didn't give her any eggs to sit on. Will she still foster chicks? Is it worth the risk of trying and having her injure them or let them freeze? I'm starting to accept that I'll be raising them myself. Any thoughts?

2. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    im no expert but if shes not hATCHING eggs, i think she will do fine :)but i wouldnt take the chance

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    It really is just a chance. It is up to you if you are willing to take that chance. You could put them under her and watch her to see how she reacts. Some will foster chicks well and some will not.

4. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I probably won't chance it. It's just four chicks after all, so it won't be too much trouble to do it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by