1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will feeding hens hot pepper encourage my dog...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ldemmert, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

to stop eating their poop? He gets very bad gas from the undigested corn I think; that's one of many reasons I'd like to find a solution to his habit.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If it works, I'm right there with ya. I hate taking my dogs to the barn because that is all they look for. [​IMG]

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    yeah, i'd like to see if this works too.

our dog hates tobasco sauce. my dh likes it on almost everything he eats so it keeps the dog from begging him most of the time!

4. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

OK, I'll let you know. I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm getting a large sized cayenne pepper flake jar from Sam's.

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Oh please, please let us know! My chickens get to roam the yard and so naturally the dog roams with them and . . . . . . .then she shows up in my bed to go nighty-night with chicken poo breath and gas! DH is bad enough, I don't need two stinking the room up [​IMG] If I could solve this, I would be such a happy woman!!

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i don't think it will work.. my parrot eats red chilie peppers and the dog still eats his " remains"...i am thinking something bitter.. the vet sells something to stop dogs from eating their own.. maybe they have an idea? it does drive me wild.. i hate to let her out when chickens are out.. all she does is nose to the ground for hours on end.. i want to scream!!!! [​IMG]

7. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    If they're not eating it they're rolling in it!

[​IMG]

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I'd like to know of something also. I just don't get the attraction [​IMG] Is it the kid that is told no you can't have something makes them want it more?? Maybe I should just pile it up and let her at it, then it'll make her sick and she won't want to eat it any more, right?? Yea, right [​IMG]

I caught her in the hen yard one morning, I had accidenally forgotten to latch the gate and all the hens were happily scratching around under a tree. She didn't bother the hens (thankfully), but went right for the droppings in the run [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    I have the same problem and then their breath smells and they don't seem to understand why I won't let them lick me.[​IMG]

10. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    I doubt if it will work. I feed my african grey parrot Habinaro peppers and the dogs eat his poop. Let me know if you find something.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by