Will feeding more protein produce more eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DoloresRun, Dec 10, 2010.

1. DoloresRun

DoloresRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Hi All

I am very new to all f this backyard farming stuff so I have a question that maybe someone can answer for me?

I have five chickens. 2 Isa Browns (about 11 months old) and 3 Barnevelders (about 14 months) They have been really great layers but a while back I posted that I was worried that I wasn't feeding them correctly! I got all sorts of great advise and so I decided to start adding extra protein. Well after doing that I started being inundated with eggs!!!! I get five a day most days and I just wondered if the extra protein was the cause? Or do I just have the best egg laying chickens ever [​IMG]

Anyway, any insight would be great [​IMG]

Thanks for your help in advance!

Dolores in Oz

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Well, if you were underfeeding them before then correcting their nutritional deficiencies may well cause them to lay more eggs. What were you feeding them before and what are you feeding them now? Being in Oz you're also getting longer and longer days these last couple of months now aren't you?

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    A.T. Hagan :

Well, if you were underfeeding them before then correcting their nutritional deficiencies may well cause them to lay more eggs. What were you feeding them before and what are you feeding them now? Being in Oz you're also getting longer and longer days these last couple of months now aren't you?

[​IMG]

I don't know why,but I can't stop lauging over this one​

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I definitely think that feeding the proper % of protein helps in egg production. Ample protein is required in egg production after all. Not knowing other factors involved, I couldn't guess whether that's why your birds are laying like champions now. Maybe they just super love you [​IMG]

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    A.T. Hagan :

[​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think I read that if you feed them more protein the eggs will be bigger. Maybe someone else can back this up?

There is such a thing as too much protein, but 20% such as gamebird feed or Purina flock raiser is fine.

7. DoloresRun

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    I was feeding them just a poultry mix before with the occasional treat. I read in one of the posts that cat food was a good way to get more protein into them so I started giving them some, along with more meat scraps (I wasn't giving them any of the meat scraps before)

I do live in Australia so I would agree that our days are getting longer but they are also getting hotter!!!

I would like to think that they just love me more than their previous keeper [​IMG] They seem like happy gals so we will see if they keep it up but on a side note!!! Got another 5 eggs out of the ladies today! Thats 5 for 5 now.

Thanks all [​IMG]
    Happy egg picking!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Increasing the protein will boost production to a point. I think once you reach twenty percent or so, you're not going to see much difference.

9. DoloresRun

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG]

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    So if they do best with 20% protein then why are all the layer feeds only 16%? I'm trying to figure all this out myself!! I don't need more eggs right now, but I do want to make sure I'm providing proper nutrition to my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by