Will flock eat dead buddy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goobhen, Oct 29, 2010.

1. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I have lost 3 chickens, all full-grown, recently. Two hens, totally gone, roo put up valiant fight, but lost. Thought varmit got in my coop today, and killed my Buff Brahma, but upon further invesigation, we are sure it did not. Hen had been trying to lay on eggs for months. She had started to molt, looked okay two days ago, just weird from loss of feathers. Is it possible the other chickens went after her after she died? She was missing feathers, had all wings, legs, head still attached. She looked like she had been pecked a lot and her feathers pulled out. What are your opinions regarding this? I have had my chickens for 19 months. I will add I have two mean roos that I am culling this weekend. I appreciate any and all opinions.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes, chickens will cannibalize their coopmates under the right circumstances. The buddy may have been dead or may not have been dead. Chickens will frequently go after the weak or infirm and peck them to death. It's the most gruesome aspect of poultry keeping. I am sorry for your losses.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Took the words right out of my fingers....

4. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for answering my question! That was my thinking, I will be culling my two mean roos tomorrow.
    Theresa

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Think tiny velociraptors with feathers. Not only will they cannibalize dead "buddies", they will also pick them to death.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    They are omnivores! So, yes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by