Will fly bait kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickens-246, May 3, 2007.

1. Chickens-246

Chickens-246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
  2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Well, it does say it shouldn't be used where it is "accessible to children or animals" - So I would say avoid it.....

3. Chickens-246

Mar 12, 2007
    I assume "accessible to children or animals" means direct contact with the bait.

It also says "Approved for use as an outdoor scatterbait, as well as indoors for use in caged layer houses."

4. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I just bought something new to try for flies and hung it up today so I'm not sure how well it works. It is a hanging fly trap with bait inside. All you do is add water and hang it up. The company I got it from is Ag Organics on Amazon and they sell a lot of great organic stuff. I also bought Orange Guard from them to spray in and around the coop.

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I buy the fly traps that are clear with the sticky sides it hangs up and the flies go to it like crazy. I bought mine at the feed store I get the horses hay from. Lady said it sells the best and you don't have to worry with adding water or anything. Ready to use right out of box. I have had it a year and love it. I also have sand boxes under my roost so I clean it every morning like a giant cat box. No flies wish it was that easy for my horse pen. [​IMG]

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Oh yes!

Make no mistake, this is a very nasty poison. If you never wear rubber gloves when handling pesticides, this is the one to consider changing your mind.

In fact, it's really not a bad idea to strip down and wash your clothes immediately, and shower down.

It's that strong a poison.

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    What about suspending ziploc bags filled with water? Hang them from the coop's ceiling or tack the bag to a wall. There's a BBQ place not far from me that hangs these from the ceiling and they swear it works to keep flies away.
    It doesn't kill flies, of course, but it is definitely safe and non-toxic and cheep!
    Stephanie

8. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
  9. Chickens-246

Mar 12, 2007
    Jill and Poison Ivy, Could you provide a product name or better yet, a link to the products your using?

countrygirl4513, I don't have a problem with flies inside the coop, I have them everywhere else. I'm a big fan of DE, however I can't administer DE everywhere and hope the flies land in it. Besides I have frequent rain and high winds during the spring/summer.

10. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by