Will fresh chicken poop kill my weeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by turtlemh, Sep 18, 2016.

1. turtlemh

turtlemh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2016
    I have a tree with these awful weeds under it by my barn. They are so bad they would break a week wackier. I have been putting my pine shavings under it that has the poop in it. Will it kill my weeds for me? I've already composed as much as I can and need a new area to put it.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Fresh hot chicken poop will only kill the plants you don't want to kill. Re: the weed that you want to kill, it's helpful to know about the weed's behavior: How does it reproduce? Seed, underground runners, vegetatively, some by all of those methods, and a few others besides! Is it Annual, perennial, Biennial? this knowledge will help you know how to mount an attack. Also, knowing what growing situations it LIKES is helpful. Give it a lot of what it DOESN'T like! You might try putting some thick layers of cardboard over the weeds, and then covering that with at least 4" of chicken bedding. An other option is to cover the area with old carpet for several years. You can try solarizing it, but under a tree, that might not be successful. Perhaps successive crops of green manure to starve and shade it out.

3. turtlemh

turtlemh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2016
    I think I'm going to keep dumping it there and see what happens. Maybe it will make a nice mulch someday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by