Will fruit and watermelon treats slow egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by selarom, Sep 20, 2010.

1. selarom

selarom New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG]I was told that feeding my chickens watermelon and fruit would slow egg production. I've never heard of this???? They get laying feed and scratch. Their production is way down but we are in hot Central Florida. Any comments?

selarom from Florida

2. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    I live about an hour north of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico and believe weather or temperature conditions have a greater affect then your feed. I don't think that the fruits you mention should reduce egg production. We feed ours lots of seeds and rine from watermelon, honeydew and canteloupe on a regular basis. Your fine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. poorartists

poorartists Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    I read this too and am reducing my fruit as we are eating a lot of it out here in Cali. I'm hoping it will increase my chickens appetite for layer feed as I read that if they ignore the layer feed due to to many fruit treats then they aren't as well balanced for egg laying and thus production goes down.

4. kingpartyof5

kingpartyof5 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have noticed that our leghorn pullet does not lay for a day or so after she get bananas. Which is too bad, she (and the rest of the flock) loves them!!!

5. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    I have notice an increase in eggs and I give my hens a fruit everyday alone with some green veggies, worms or crickets. I went from 1 or 2 to 6 or 7 a day.

6. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I give mine fruits everyday without any decrease in egg production, and I'm in Central Florida too. The heat has had no affect on my flock whatsoever, I get 4 or 5 eggs everyday from my five bird flock.

7. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    not that I know of. My production never changes with constant fruity treats!

Did you hear this somewhere????

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Fruit will drop egg production if feed too much. It does it because it lowers protien levels which chickens need to make eggs. So if you are feeding alot of fruit treats cut back. You can have it part of a daily diet as long as they get more than 16% feed. Citrus do not feed at all. It will cause problems in moulting and feather growth. It is the citrus acid that does it. It builds up in birds and then they start plucking amongst other things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by