1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will game hens bully my flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lucky KY Chicks, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Hey guys,
    I have a flock of Dominiques, Easter eggers, Black Copper Marans, White New Jersey Giants and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. If I bring in 3 or 4 standard game hens (most likely old english, no roosters) to be broodies hopefully, do you anticipate me having any aggression or bullying problems? I have a flock of 46 currently so the numbers would be in favor of the gentler breeds.
    Thanks for any input,
    Lucky KY

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    No. I use game hens as broodies along side American Dominiques and another breed I am developing. Free-range conflicts not bad at all so long as hens kept spread out a bit. Spreading applies to nongame hens as well as they are not gentler when it comes to defense of brood against other chickens.

Your bigger challenge will involve quality nest sites and roosts for hens with chicks. Done properly and you will be able to average 8 chicks per broody game hen, lower if system pushed too hard.

3. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the input @centrarchid
    I have a few ideas for broody roosts and nesting but what do you recommend? I have a little while to plan and build accordingly.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If nest sites to be in an overhead environment, then milkcrates with a piece of plywood and straw covering body is very handing although requires periodic checking to release chicks after hatch. Also chicks usually not able to get back in even when crate on ground. Option I use with hens nesting in field is a 5-gallon bucket with lid that is cut so hen can get in and out easily. Place 6 to 10 lb of loose soil and straw into bucket and lay it on its side. This type of nest hen can return to each night with chicks. I place so when outside the nest are ideally at least 25 feet apart and most a good 50 feet.

Show a picture of were hens expected to brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by