Will getting 2 drakes affect how my female acts?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PaxtonSunny, Jul 20, 2019.

1. PaxtonSunny

PaxtonSunny Chirping

Jun 23, 2018
    I have what I believe are 2 female Pekins. They are around 4 months old. One, is so friendly and sweet and I pet her all the time. However, someone wants to get rid of her 2 adult drakes and I said I would take them. I did eventually want a male. Should I get the drakes or will this affect how sweet my one female is? Am I better off with getting another baby duck? Thank you

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you have never had drakes, think twice about getting them. They are extremely sexually aggressive, and two of them to two ducks may not work out so well. Unless you want to hatch ducklings, there is no reason to add drakes and the problems that come with them.

3. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    Two drakes with two hens is not a good idea. Over-mating can occur very easily. It is reccomended to have around 2-4 hens per drake. Maybe one drake could work with two hens, but they may still get pretty run down by him.

4. PaxtonSunny

PaxtonSunny Chirping

Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you both very much. My ducks are so peaceful and things are so nice now, I didn't want to mess things up. Glad I asked before getting these two ducks.

sourland, Duckworth and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that you have made a good decision - why take the chance of messing up a good thing.

6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I think you are being wise. My two drakes have been on vacation at a farm for the summer and my girls have never been happier or more friendly. They get to swim when the want (the boys hog the pools). They are all eating out of my hands again (they had stopped and hidden behind the boys). And, they don't have bald, injured necks and heads from stupid drakes. I love my girls and aren't missing my boys as much as I thought I would.

Mama_Owl_3 and PaxtonSunny like this.
  7. PaxtonSunny

PaxtonSunny Chirping

Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you. This is good to know. I am so glad I asked! I would have ruined a nice thing. My one female is just precious. She squats down and loves to be pet. I'd hate for that to stop.

8. PATOS

PATOS Songster

Jan 1, 2019
    my 2 cents-
    I have 6 drakes and 5 hens and we do not have any problems- we train them by talking and distracting......
    Our goal at this point is fertilized eggs so we are different...

PaxtonSunny likes this.
  9. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Do not get more than one drake for 5 hens. They have very long penises and can pull out hen innards from overbreeding. I really don’t see how Patos has managed that ratio but ducks like to breed in hiding spots and they definitely need water to breed. I personally can not sit out there and distract my paddle to leave each other alone all day. Maybe Patos is a duck whisperer and I applaud your efforts!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    PaxtonSunny and PATOS like this.
  10. PaxtonSunny

PaxtonSunny Chirping

Jun 23, 2018
    I would like fertilized eggs at some point, but I may be better off buying a couple babies to add to my duck flock rather than the adult drakes for now. Thank you for the input.

Helloworld and PATOS like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: