Will guinea pig run away?

MammaHen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Knysna, South Africa
We used to have the guinea pig and the rabbit together, but the rabbit kept escaping so we left it to do its thing. It now really thinks its a chicken, and while not being very tame, has a wonderful and very free life. The problem is I feel very sorry for the Guinea and I think I should open the pen and let it also roam free. My son is devastated at the thought of it running away. My thinking is that if we always keep food and water in its pen with the door open it will always come back to it 'home' and there's no reason for it to go very far away. The bunny has never tried to go further than the chickens do and they are completely free range. Does anyone think this is tru or will he just keep runnning and never come back?

I would not recommend a guinea pig to roam free since it really is not fast enough to get away from a preditor. It will find a hidehole, but has to come out for food and water. It may never return to it's cage either.

Guinea pigs are herd animals, but I don't suggest another rabbit either. Best to find it a friend of it's own kind. Then your guinea pig won't be lonely.

As in any herd, you will have to allow them to establish a pecking order. There maybe a few tifts, but there maybe nothing also. A younger pig would be better than trying to introduce an older one. If you have a boar, then I suggest getting a very young little boar to be a cage mate. And yes I know that most internet pet sites and postings do not agree that male pigs can live together. Unfortunately they do not have enough experience to know. Two adult breeding boars should never be put together and most times people will see a fight between two adults and assume they cannot live together. With that said, I also have many adult breeding boars that are my best baby boar babysitters.

Do not introduce and take away for a few days as some may think. Guinea pigs are not like others in that they remember really quickly. You are best to clean out and rearrange the cage taking out your exsisting pig and then add them both in together. It will feel like a new cage to your other pig. Also a drop of vanilla extract on the older pigs nose will keep them from smelling much different on the new pig.

Pam, you are the bestest. Thank you for all your fabulous advice. Never thought I would get an answer from a true guinea pig guru! Off to get myself a baby guinea!! Bless you. x

Guinea pigs are herd animals?
hide.gif

DD2 wants one really badly, but DH isn't at all happy about it. If she plays with it and cuddles it lots it won't be lonely, right? Because the odds of her getting more than one are nigh on impossible!

I wont adopt my pigs alone, I always have them go in pairs or with someone who already has one, because at some point or another they are in their cage alone. They are herd animals and do so much better with a g-pig buddy. They eat better and cuddle with each other and are just overall happier and they will still bond with their humans the same, if they are handled. The little kids I nanny for have 4 male guinea pigs all in the same large C&C cage, they do great.

Guinea pigs arent like bunnies, I wouldnt let the piggie go either. I have a "free" roaming Flemish Giant bunny. She is loose in the goat pen but there are fences and she gets locked up in her own barn stall at night and I wont let her out in bad weather, but she knows how to get back to her barn for water etc. She runs all over and has a blast. I just dont see a piggie figuring it out like she has and would just be sitting hawk bait here.

MammaHen I wouldn't call myself a guru, but a definetly experienced guinea pig person! LOL And go figure there are more of us here on the chicken site too! Like Jackie. I have to agree with you Jackie on not allowing them to go alone. I did sell a boar alone to one couple ONLY because they took their pig with them everywhere! And yes, I mean EVERYWHERE! The last one they owned had the best vets and lived to be 7 years old. They spent like $2000 trying to save him from old age. He traveled all over the U.S. and had his special hide out bag he went into stores and places with them. He had a cage in every room of the house so he followed the wife as she cleaned and as she lived in their house. Even had a special night time cage in the bedroom! Basically I was surprised their last one didn't have a diamond necklace! The new little boar took a trip to the Grand Canyon shortly after we sold him to them. I get Christmas photos of him each year. That is what I call devotion. Couldn't have asked for a better home really.

wetogochickens as much as your hubby doesn't like the guinea pig idea, I bet he really will see how neat they are once you get some. And yes, I say some as they really do better in a pair at the least. We have special pens in our caviary for show pigs that have long hair. They must live alone to grow their hair out in length without a cage mate to chew their coats off. It is a chore to keep them happy really. We have special toys and they get very special attention, but it does become obvious with some more sooner than others that depression sets in and they stop being healthy and happy. That is the time we put them into a community pen. It greatly improves their health and their moods, but ends their show careers. It is a fine line really. I also fine that when I am not using one of my breeding boars, that they are better to have a baby boar as a buddy so that they do not become depressed.

Guinea pigs are so much different than hamsters and most other rodents I feel. They really remind me of little cats or dogs with such personality.

Thanks for the extra info, CountryMom. Helped me make a decision!

And sorry to hijack, MamaHen. It just really surprised me to see on thread on guinea pigs after having a weekend full of g.p. discussions at my house!

No problem wegotchickens, glad my dilemma sorted yours out too! Thanks again O guru. Will let you know how the garnd introduction goes. Going to take him out tonight and clean his cage in the morning and then swap everything round and put them back together. In the meantime, I have just checked the bator and 6 of my 12 RIR eggs have hatched!. Not bad for a first timer !!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom