Will guineas eat horseflies?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by watchdogps, Jul 20, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Please tell me yes! I was out working on the new house and there were horseflies everywhere! Dive bombing my car, etc! I havent ever seen them there before, so I dont know what got them out and about today, but I HATE those things!

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Its probably the heat, that has them more active. Unfortunately Guineas are more of a terrestral insect eater. Of course if the find some larva they will do em in.... (dont want to type the M word... lol)

There are a couple of fly traps that my horse friends use in PA.... It involves a black beach ball and a one way trap.... Horse flies are attracted to darkend under bellies of large animals when they land and dont find food their first instinct is to fly straight up. The traps are designed to take advantage of this. therefore they have no bait in them. But I am not home so I cant locate the link for you.

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    We have 12 horses on our farm and we use Fly Predators by Spalding Labs, They are tiny bugs that get delivered in the egg form and you release them once they hatch. They eat the larvae of horse flies. We've been using them for years and never had a problem. A great all natural solution. Probably too late to help you this season (depending on your location) Here's the link: https://www.spalding-labs.com/Horses/Default.aspx

4. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Spalding labs states the fly predators dont work on horseflies.[​IMG]

5. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    [​IMG] they should eat horse flys.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    We decided to use "feed thru" this year to help with the house fly population and didn't order the fly predators......first time I've seen horse flies in the 10 years I've been here at the farm. Just got my double shipment of predators today.....gotta wait for them to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by