Will hawk come in a backyard?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by can't get enough chicken, Jul 4, 2010.

1. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    My 4 chickens live in my backyard. Will a hawk come in my backyard?

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Abosolutely a hawk will come in your backyard to kill a chicken. If a hawk has the opportunity to tag a chicken they will take the chance. Hang some CD's spuradically in the yard they say it helps to detur them. Good luck!

Chef

3. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Yes, hawks today are so protected that they fear nothing. It would not be anything unusual for one to fly down right in front of you and fly away with a chick. They have no predators, and they're ALL protected by an antiquated Migratory Bird Act that nobody with authority to do anything about will take the initiative to change.

4. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yes, I agree with the others. I've had hawks swoop down while I was in the yard.

5. guineahen14

guineahen14 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    I have seen a hawk in my backyard perched on the top rails of an old swingset. I saw a hawk follow my bantam chickens into an open shed where they ran when getting attacked if I was faster I could have shut the door and had the hawk inside. Lucky for me and the chickens I scared it off.

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Depends on where you live, the ones that are used to civilization and raised around people have no fear. However hawks around my place fly off at first sight of me or the dog.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We pulled over in a suburban neighborhood a couple of years ago, and watched a large hawk, about 10 or 12 feet away from us, and about 8 feet away from the front house wall, eating a robin. Totally relaxed and okay with being watched by people in a car. This was in a busy neighborhood, with small front yards, and kids. They are bold.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! I have had them hit pigeons on my loft within five feet of me. Young, inexperienced hawks will tend to be more unafraid of humans. When they are migrating, I can not fly my pigeons. The hawks are hanging on the aviaries staring at the pigeons within.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by