Will hawks get ducks?

SwedeinAZ

Chirping
Mar 24, 2019
I have been having my chickens and ducks picked off one by one during mid-day lately.
Mostly- we find the carcass in the yard but now 2 have disappeared completely.
Yesterday, my drake disappeared and my two female ducks were right by the pond. I was so surprised as the kids and the dog were outside too. I know we have coyotes but I started to wonder if this could be a hawk? (Or bob cat)? Do hawks kill mallard ducks & carry them away?
I always assumed the chicks & ducks would be safe during the daytime- especially with kids & a dog running around! Any ideas for me? (Oh, I‘m in Phoenix, Arizona and we don’t have raccoon or fox here.)

Oh yeah. Hawks will definitely take ducks and chickens if they have a chance. I would keep your chickens and the ducks inside the coop for the next few days until the hawk realizes that this buffet he has found isn’t there anymore.

Oh yeah. Hawks will definitely take ducks and chickens if they have a chance. I would keep your chickens and the ducks inside the coop for the next few days until the hawk realizes that this buffet he has found isn’t there anymore.
Thank you! I had no idea. I saw the hawks today

Hawks can and will kill ducks, and very possibly the kills that were left in your yard were by hawks. They generally eat in place as anything as large as a duck can not be carried away. Something else is killing and removing the ducks.
That makes sense. I’m still not sure what could be picking off my ducks- but at least I know a hawk is a predator for my ducks. Thank you.

Hawks can and will kill ducks....They generally eat in place as anything as large as a duck can not be carried away. Something else is killing and removing the ducks.
Ditto Dat^^^

If body is not found, it's larger predator.
Fox, coyote, bobcat, cougar can all sneak up, grab dinner, then disappear pretty quickly and quietly.

Back
Top Bottom