Will hawks get my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickalicious-farmer, May 28, 2008.

1. chickalicious-farmer

chickalicious-farmer New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    I am a mommy to 4 humans and 10 chicks. I am new to the world of chickens..fun, fun,fun! My chicks are 8 weeks old. I let them fun free in my yard sometimes while I am with them, that's when the hawks show up. We scramble and put them in their pen. The chicks are getting pretty big, how long do I need to worry about it?

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    A hawk will easily carry away a full grown bird right in front of you. Is there anyway to secure a run with bird netting overtop? That's your best bet.

Tanya

3. chickalicious-farmer

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    My run and coop are secure. Have you seen a hawk do that? Holy cow!

4. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Yes!!! Hawks will get them (or try to) even when they are full grown. The Hawks would swoop our covered back patio trying to get my Great Dane Puppies! We had to keep them in a kennel. They even ate the big gold fish in my neighbors Horse water trough. Every pen we have now has some sort of cover on it.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    YES, YES, YES! That's why the hawks show up. They are wanting dinner. This is another reason you need to make sure that your run is covered. Hawks will snatch your chickens up in a heart beat, even when they are full grown and there is nothing you can do about it. Hawks are a protected species. [​IMG]

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    What about deer netting for a run top cover
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    We have a location that is swarming with winged predators but so far (knock on wood) they haven't messed with my flock. We have everything from Kestrels to Marsh & Ferruginous Hawks to Bald Eagles. The food supply out here is abundant because of the 25+ acre marsh behind our property so that may have something to do with it but also I place that halographic tape around the outdoor run (approx. 500 sq. ft.) and the flashing of that tape is very unsettling to these type of birds. I recently allowed my flock to have total free range outside their run w/o any problems too. (However I did put a stop to it as they discovered the soft soil in my flower beds and tried to cultivate the seedlings coming up [​IMG] ) The tape is around $7. for a 100 ft. roll or if it's not too windy in your area, make bow shaped windmills out of aluminum foil. Hope this info helps! [​IMG]

8. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Covering the pen will keep the hawks away. I once had a hawk come within 4 inches of my face trying to take away one of my adult guinea fowl. Scared the **** out of me!

9. chickalicious-farmer

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for the input..you guys are great! I am keeping a very close eye on my girls. Seriously though? Have you ever seen with your own 2 eyes, a hawk fly away with a full grown chicken? Aren't chicken quite a bit larger than hawks? I am not doubting it, I am just blown away? What in the heck?? And did I forget to mention?
    I LOVE CHICKENS!!!!

10. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    If it is too heavy to lift it will just bite off the head and leave the body. No better outcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by