Will he be Alright??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeccaB00, Aug 30, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Okay I have a quick Q.

I have a chick. He's about 4 days old. His mom is FOR SOME ODD REASON started flogging him, so we put him in a box on our front porch

(which is enclosed) its more of a sunroom. But my Q is... It's only supposed to get up to like 88 degrees F today and on the computer

right now it says 73 F. I know thats way to cold for him at 4 days old but will he be alright? I can't bring him in to put a light on him

because the lights that we have get extremely hot and I can't monitor it very well.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No- he might die from the cold if he's only 4 days old.

I have repeatedly successfully used a simple light bulb - two of them, 100 watts hanging over chicks to keep them warm. About 18 inches away from them. Then either put a thermometer down on the floor under the light, or make sure they don't look cold AND have room to get away from the light if it gets too hot.

Make sure it's not a fire hazard, of course!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh, and do you know the temperature chart for chicks? I will mention it, just in case you don't know.

1st week of life: chicks need temps of 90-95
    2nd week: 85-90
    3rd week: 80-85
    4th week: 75-80
    5th week: 70-75
    6th week: 70

Heat lamp or light bulb equivalent until fully feathered. Now I did free range mine starting at 3 weeks, but kept those light bulbs running and boy they did come and go from them!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by