Will he be fine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KikiDeAnime, Apr 19, 2019.

1. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I put our Silkie cockerel outside now that his collar is adjusted correctly to make him quieter.
    I put our Bantam Cochin/Silkie hen named Mouse in the yard with him. So far he just runs away from her and tries to stay as far as he can. She did run after him but only to scare him off away from the water.

I only put them together to see if he would attempt to breed with her or at least gain some confidence around her.

Will he be fine being in the yard with her?
    When should she be use to him?

2. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    He might gain some confidence if you take the collar off of him. Roosters crow that’s what they do.

Roo5 and sourland like this.
  3. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    If we didn't live next to shitty neighbors, I would but we'll get called on for the noise.

Chickassan, Roo5 and roosterhavoc like this.
  4. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    He’s young,it could take awhile for him to gain confidence, and a collar might not help the situation Unforutently,but I understand where your coming from with the collar issue( Collar could be maybe why he’s reacting the way he is).As long as he has places to run and get away he should be fine.

5. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I actually had nothing to worry about. She's actually been letting him near her, although he still runs away from her.

Chickassan and Roo5 like this.
  6. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Poor guy :(
    He'll be fine, man mode will kick in crow or no crow just give him time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: