will he be too lonely...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Elly, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    We have four horses right now all of them my daughters who will be taking three of them out west when she moves in the spring. We have a 27 year old gelding QH that will be staying with me. We thought of possibly selling him,but I feel he will have a hard time finding a good home. He has major past history ( abuse). I'm older and don't really want to be involved with an extra horses ...cleaning up and the cost so would just like to keep him till he passes away. But I'm worried also that he will be lonely once the other three leave. $$ is limited so boarding him at an other barn with other horses is not possible.

Any ideas

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    He will be very lonely without a companion. Although another horse would be best some horses do well with other livestock like goats, llamas or even cattle. Some just pine away without another horse.

Can you board a horse at your place until he passes on? You would get some extra income to help with the expenses and he would have a friend.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Find a mini to keep him company. They're very easy keepers, and can't reach his bucket to steal his feed. I would say having an aged gelding alone suddenly would cause him undue stress.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You could always take in another pasture pet, and then see if there is a young girl around who just wants to be involved with horses who would like to come up and help with some of the chores. When I was a kid I'd take any opportunity to be with horses!

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Horses are very social animals. I would try to find in a pal.
    I also agree with the above poster about finding someone that might want to work with them.

6. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a mini donkey for a companion for the horse. They are very cheap to feed and VERY entertaining!!

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:I agree. At that age, it would be too stressful. Either boarding another horse at your place, or getting a mini wold probably be your best bet.

8. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    And the sooner you get him his new "friend" the easier it will be when your daughter takes his buddies with her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by