1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will he ever go to the coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FLchook, Jul 26, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    My rooster is insistent on going into the tree to sleep... I've never had a problem with the idea, until the new ladies one night decided to follow. That night something nabbed 2 of them. After years of Snow White and camo sleeping up there, I didn't think much of it. First attach in a tree ever.

Anyway, that afternoon I put them all into the coop/run, where they have stayed for a week now. I let them out yesterday and watch come dusk. Sure enough, he promptly went back to the tree with all girls following. I grabbed him mid jump and stuffed him back into the run. The girls followed. We have a 6 chooks in a 10x10 run with a good size coop attached, but you can tell they hate being confined after free-ranging for so long. Will he ever be broke of sleeping in the tree? Any suggestions?

thanks,
    shannon

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    It will be difficult. It's very hard to change a chickens habits. Have you considered clipping his wing. You'd only have to do one and it would be temporary. I don't know your predator situation, but if he can't get in the tree he may decide the coop is the right place and develope a new habit.

3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    We have a good amount of predators around here. Better for him if he can fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by