Will he get better?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandydoodle, Sep 16, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I just got a new rooster a couple weeks ago. All of my chickens will eat out of your hand and some will even let you hold them. You can tell they know you and get excited to see you. Well its not the same for the new roo. He is 3 or 4 months old. You can tell he is scared of me. When I go in the coop to feed them he runs from me. When I hand feed them treats you can tell he wants them but, won't get close enough to get one. I throw them to him it scares him but, then he will eat it. Is there any chance he will ever get better with people? He is the only bird I have bought older then a day old chick.

Thanks,
    MIchelle [​IMG]

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    anyone?

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

PATIENCE!

I would suggest taking a little stool to sit on, and be quiet, and be patient.
    I got a new roo a few weeks ago, and he will not let me hold him, BUT he is finally eating from me... Just takes time, he's gotta learn to trust you, and he will...

4. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    This happens to most chickens and roosters. I guess its just a normal behaviour. Don't worry. They will usually get used to you soon. I have 6 hens and 5 of them can eat out of my hand. I have had them for about 1 and a half months. Although I can hand-feed them, they do not let me pet them yet and they will run/walk away still when i come near. . The other chicken is the most shy one. She is probably at the bottom of the pecking order cuz i see her get bullied a lot. Through the past month, she has been improving and now i can be close to her if i stay very still but she would still run away.
    Because it's new, you can't expect it to come running to you and eating out of your hand. It will take some time [​IMG]. good luck

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So have you gotten a chicken before at this age and had luck with them eventually being at ease??

Quote:

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So have you adopting older chickies before or is this your first time???

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by