Will he heal ok?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Apr 15, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Should I put something on it or just leave it alone? Pete wouldn't stop attacking our Muscovy drake and our 2 month old buff gander. He was so relentless. So we stuck him back into the chicken run because he WAS getting along with them fine. All seemed well and good until today. I was in the "duck house" feeding the boys, and the flemish bunny, and I heard a ruckus in the chicken run. I go out to look and Pete and the Rooster were going at it pretty hard. I called my boyfriend down as I'm terrified of the rooster and he went in and broke up the fight and they just kept trying to go at each other relentlessly. So we locked the muscovy and the gander in the shed and let Pete have the outside area for now....we need to build him his own place. Yes I know this is probably our fault for raising him alone like we did....failure at new duck parents the first time around :( Will he ever chill out? Could it be because its "that time of year?"

Here's his beak. It's swollen in some spots and seems a little bruised
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cuddling with momma
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    its not you its him, its breeding season for ducks, and drakes are extremely sexually aggressive this time of year he should be fine ducks have a high body temp so are resistant to a lot of diseases and infection but still can get sick

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    It stinks having to have him separated. We had two muscovy hens but he picked both of their necks bare from breeding so much :( I ended up rehoming them. I've seen him try and mount the male muscovy, and he's tried with the 2 month old gander too.

4. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    maybe wipe some hand sanitizer or something over his beak to get some bacteria out of the wound. and nothing is safe around a male duck during mating season they have testosterone poisoning

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im having to rehome my blue ancona drake, and his mate, a black ancona hen. Hes ALWAYS finding a way to excape, and get to my welsh harlequin hens. Hes bred one so much, shes loosing feathers on her poor little back. So hes gonna go. My welsh drake and him go at it alot to.... End up "doing" eachothers ladies. Sillys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by