Will Hen go back to new nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dkberhow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dkberhow

dkberhow New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    We had our first hen sitting on some eggs. We should have been prepared but weren't. She was sitting on them just in the corner of the coop. We saw that she stayed there even at night and did not join the other hens on the roost. We went out today to try to make her a sectioned off, safe spot. Well, we found she was off the eggs and that they were gone! Assume that some of the other chickens ate them. But there was not even a bit of shell left! Anyway, we made up a safe place for her and put her back in there with some new eggs. She cannot get out and the others can't get in. She has a box with wood shavings and her own supply of food and water. She still had ruffled feathers. As soon as we put her in she went right over and sat down on the eggs. Is there any chance she will "adopt" this new clutch and will start sitting again? I should add that she is a Buff Orpington (did I spell that right?).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    If she is still feeling broody, she won't care if these are new eggs or eggs about to hatch.

In the future, if you aren't sure if she will sit, just put the hen in the safe spot and wait a day or two to see if she sits. A broody hen will brood whether or not she has eggs. Then, once you are confident she is committed to the mission, give her some eggs.

You may want to consider providing her accept to leave this safe place at will during the day. This provides her the opportunity to get a few bigs for nourishment, dust bath to keep external parasites away (a sitting hen is that much more vulnerable), and in general a bit of exercise. 20some days is a long journey, these little bits can make it more comfortable for her. I personal open my broody box in the morning and close it in the afternoon, after my hen has decided no other hens are looking and it's safe to leave for a minute or two. You can also check to make sure there are no new eggs on the nest (mark the ones she is sitting on with a pencil).

Good luck and have fun!

3. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    PS. She may have moved her eggs elsewhere herself. You may want to go on a little egg hut!

And sorry for the typos! I am new to send things from my phone.

I meant to say ACCESS to leave the safe place -and-
    get BUGS for nourishment.

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by