Will hens being dominant over rooster keep him quiet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HOLWACHAGOT, Mar 3, 2015.

1. HOLWACHAGOT

HOLWACHAGOT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Some may have read...I have three hens and a rooster right now... the hens are the dominant birds....without a doubt. Will this keep a rooster quiet? I have only heard him crow twice...he isa silkie rooster I'm told....my Buff Orpington, my barnevelder, or my Red chicken won't let the rooster near me or anything else....including them. The rooster attacks and tries to hump my boots anytime I walk within twenty feetof him and the hens are not between us.....makes me die laughing! Does he think he is guarding the hens who hate him?

Holwachagot

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    How long have you had the rooster?

Generally speaking, the rooster will eventually be in control of the hens.

3. HillBillyFiveO

HillBillyFiveO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2014
    Humping the boot is funny!

I just worked thru this issue when I introduced a rooster and hen into an already occupied coop. The RIR's showed them the pecking order, and the rooster was definitely on the bottom, initially. It's taken several weeks and he finally crowed yesterday. He was young, so he is now feeling secure with his girls, and is letting them know it, much to the dismay of the "queen" RIR! ;^)

I'd hang in there to see how he does. Spring is right around the corner, so I'm sure the warm weather may help.

Good luck.

Floyd T.

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    [​IMG] one of my breeder cages houses a tiny serama hen with an even tinier cockerel. He is so far being bullied by her but I know that in a month or so he will complete his adulthood molt and wont take any more guff from her.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    A lot of times bantam roos can be twice as cocky as standard ones. He sounds like a determined little chap. I wouldn't bet on him staying quiet forever. If he's as determined as he sounds, he'll get respect out of those hens or die trying.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by