Will hens break eggs of different color on purpose?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by parkerpeeps7, Feb 6, 2012.

1. parkerpeeps7

parkerpeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Hi all,
    I have 5 brown egg laying hens & 2 white egg laying hens and for over a week now I have had 0 white eggs & cannot seem to find any remnants of white eggs in the coop. Could my brown egg laying hens be breaking the white eggs b/c of the different color? NOTE: The white egg layers are not sick.** They were all laying in the same nest box (the favorite apparently), except for 1 of my brown egg layers & then it seems like once the white eggs started disappearing from the nest box the other brown egg layer started laying in the "favorite nest box with all the others". Anyone heard of this happening or had this happen to them?

Thank you,
    Amy

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens see colors very well, but activities as you describe do not occure. Any color egg or egg shaped object is OK with a hen. Egg eaters do not discriminate.........Pop

3. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Ok, well ugh! Then could it be that I am worming them? They are smaller than the others, in fact I think they are bantams & that did cross my mind that b/c they are smaller it is affecting them more. OH! My white egg layers have been laying every single day since they started laying, could they just be taking a break? Totally confused now??!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes they do take a break and that could be what's happening. Of course any opinion on this is just an opinion..........Pop

5. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Yeah that's true. I'm just glad that they aren't sick or anything. I've been watching them very closely since they quit laying. Maybe they'll start back up soon.

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    My little RIR bantam will roll eggs out of the nest that aren't hers. [​IMG] Its either the color or the size difference she is picking up on. She is naughty!! lol

7. parkerpeeps7

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Lol, she is naughty! I'm sorry that is happening though. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by