Will hen's feathers grow back?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by latsonhillfarm, Sep 20, 2010.

1. latsonhillfarm

latsonhillfarm New Egg

Aug 7, 2009
    Howell
    We rescued a duck, and back in May he tried breeding my (chicken) hens. One of the hens (a buff orpington) had the feathers on her entire back pulled out by the duck, and she also lost feathers on her wing tips. Her skin is red and raw looking, plus she got sunburned over the summer. My question is: Will her feathers ever grow back in? I plan on making her a saddle before winter comes.

Thanks.

P.S. We quickly found the duck a new home.

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Yes the feathers should grow back... my only concern is that i could get infected... [​IMG]

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I got a hen that was worse for wear because of roos both her neck and back feathers were pulled out its probably been the same length of time her neck has grown back in but not her back yet, I'm hoping when she starts molting the new feathers will grow in, but I'm not sure because they didn't fall out naturally. anyone else have any ideas?

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Yes they will grow back I have had a hen loose her feathers and get very raw,back when I had to many roos. they grew back before winter. if they go through a molt they grow back also. You should first see feather shafts the saddle works well I used one out of duct tape.By the time the tape fell off her feathers grew back

5. latsonhillfarm

latsonhillfarm New Egg

Aug 7, 2009
    Howell
    Thanks for responding. She hasn't shown any signs of infection, but I will keep an eye out for it. I will try the saddle, and hopefully her feathers will grow in before it gets really cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by