1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will hens fight and kill chicks!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pekin Hen, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Pekin Hen

Pekin Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    South Africa
    I really need some advice!!!

My one hen has 5 chicks and they are about 8 - 9 weeks old. Now one of my other hens started to lay her first eggs.
    I worked out that they( the chicks i already have) will be about 13 - 14 weeks old when the new chicks hatch.

Do you think the hens will fight and kill the chicks???
    (The hen that has the 5 chicks , is the one who has started to lay her first eggs's mom)
    I need good advice PLEASE!!!!!

Annette.

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    In my years of raising chickens... I've never had hens fight. Point in fact... I had 2 hens to hatch eggs at the same time and they tended to stay somewhat together. Momma hens usually keep to themselves, very protective of the babes, but for some reason... these two I speak of sorta ran the nursery together for some reason. But that hasn't happened since.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  3. Pekin Hen

Pekin Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    South Africa
    Thanks!

Your advice is really good , but some people say that two hens with chicks will fight and kill chicks!
    Still , i need more advice!
    Anyone els?

Annette.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I think it may depend on the temperament of each individual hen. Some will, some won't, some share, some don't. I try to always give my broodys their own pen, even if it's fenced off in the big coop, their own food/water, just so I don't have to worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by