1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will hens lay eggs their entire life??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by j and bs hens, Mar 7, 2012.

1. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I have talked to some that say they have had hens that lay until the day (or day before) they die. And then I've heard others say that they will only lay eggs for a couple years.

Does it change for every bird and breed?? Would a roo keep them laying?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It changes for every bird, but some breeds are more likely to lay longer than others. You can get an older hen that only lays a few eggs a year. Some stop somewhere along the line, others continue to lay now and then. They only lay dependably for around 2 years, but they don't stop after that as a rule, they just don't lay as many. I have a 3 year old who I know for sure lays every other day.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I have a 7 year old Barred Rock, she lays around 3 eggs a week!

4. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I have a nearly three year old PR that lays four times a week after late January unitl holloween or a few days afterwards. During the winter, she is barren of eggs. As hens get older, their winter break gets longer while their summer laying really decreases. My PR's sister died last fall at the age of 2.5 years. I haver been told mortality, from natural causes, increases after two years of age.

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Standard breeds decrease their egg laying about 10% per year after their first year but they should produce all their lives. Unlike mammals, there is no menopause for chickens. This is a link to a good article about egg production:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ps/ps02900.pdf

6. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    I have an EE who will be 7 years old this spring. She lays in the summer time but not in the winter at all. Her summer production is maybe 2 eggs a week.

7. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Thank you! There really is so much to learn, I had no idea going into this.

8. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    I friend of mine just told me that one of her Cochin hens is 11 and another is 10 and she still gets a couple eggs a week out of each. I couldn't believe it when she told me that, wow!

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

That's about the same as my older girls.

10. baGAWK123

baGAWK123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Wow!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by