1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will hens lay sooner with a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddock36, Dec 30, 2008.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have 3 RIR, 1 Buff Orphington, 1 Golden Comet, and a Barred Rock Roster that was supposed to be a hen but he didn't get the email. He has bred with the Comet a couple of times and still no eggs. He doesn't seem interested in the other hens. Does it matter that he bred with her?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Having a rooster or not does not usually influence when they lay.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    No. I think how soon they lay is more dependent upon their breeding (what breed, how soon did mom start laying, etc).

4. Tennvol14

Tennvol14 New Egg

Dec 30, 2008
    I have been told if you dont have a rooster 1 hen will not lay.Is this true.

5. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Quote:no, it's not true. The only thing a roo is needed for is if you want to hatch the eggs and not just eat them.

6. Tennvol14

Tennvol14 New Egg

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks Don

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:no, it's not true. The only thing a roo is needed for is if you want to hatch the eggs and not just eat them.

Don't forget for protection too.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Don't forget for protection too.

That's what my roos do best, protect my hens!
    In flocks without a rooster you can have an occurence where a top hen stops laying and begins to take on the role of rooster for the flock, up to and including crowing. Don't know how common it is though. Perhaps that's what the person meant when they told you that in a flock without a rooster one hen wouldn't lay?

9. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well., how old is your flock? I know everyone gets the jitters waitin for there girls to lay there first, I know I did. Sometimes days seem like weeks. Post there age, someone here will then have the info to help. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    My first to start laying was 17 weeks old and the last to start laying was 27 weeks old. My young girls should be starting to lay pretty soon. I have a rooster but he is looking for a new home. My last batch of chicks were susposed to be all pullets but this guy slipped through. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by