Will hens lay with out a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dandydoodle, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Will hens lay with out a rooster?

Thanks,
    MIchelle

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yepper.

3. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
  4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. They will. [​IMG]

5. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    No, the ratio needed is 1 rooster per hen.

Of course, I'm "yanking ya chain," they are not needed, a 1 rooster to 10 hen ratio will work if you want fertilized eggs for hatching.

6. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Hens ovulate every 20something hours, just as women ovulate every 20something days. When women ovulate, we have our period. When hens ovulate, they lay an egg.

With no rooster, the egg isn't fertilized and won't ever develop into a chick. With a rooster, a chick may develop if the egg has been incubated (sat on by a hen for 20some days or kept in a heated incubator); otherwise, they're just like regular store-bought eggs.

7. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    Quote:LOL, I have never heard it put that way. I'm not sure if I can eat another egg now [​IMG]

8. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the answers. We just started raising chickens about 4 and half months ago. We had 5 hens and one I think was a roo. We couldn't catch him last night to put him back in the chicken coop. We tried about 4 times. The last time I tried to get him in it was to dark to see. Well needless to say we no longer have a roo. [​IMG] I don't really want to get another roo because, I am scared it will be the same way about getting back in the coop at night. So I think we will stick to the hens. I really don't want one of those predators getting a hold of one of another one of our chicks. So again thanks so much.

Michelle

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry about you loss.

You only need a roo if you want to hatch baby chicks. Many folks don't have one and just buy new hens when the current ones get "tired" of laying.

10. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    A rooster is not necessary unless you want chicks - the hens will do just fine:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by