Will hens miss rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chaim, Nov 25, 2010.

1. chaim

chaim Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    We have 12 hens and one Brown Leghorn rooster. We are thinking of giving him away . He is good tempered but too noisy for the neighbors so he's going.
    Now at first when he tried to mount the hens there would be a big ruckus and yelling but nowadays they seem to actually "enjoy" it or at least they don't seem to mind that much.
    Question is how will the flock cope cope without him in general, and seriously speaking, will they be horny? Is that a normal need that would be deprived of once he's gone?
    Will all hell break loose?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Will a bunch of women miss a polygamist man if he leaves? [​IMG] Trust me, they'll be fine. Most backyard chicken owners don't even have roosters, and I myself always keep my roosters in their separate "Bachelor Pad." The girls aren't "horny," but if laying eggs, they may squat for you - It's a natural instinct to prevent a rooster from injuring them or their feathers and to prepare for the "duty" to be done properly.

When I separated my last cockerels from the girls, they didn't mind one bit. Their feathers eventually grew back from some of the rough handling, there aren't any more fights or chasing going on, and even the roosters get along better now without competition.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    We just rehomed a rooster two weeks ago for attacking the mil and the girls don't seem to mind at all,been getting 10 to 13 eggs a day from 15 bo's since he's gone and a lot more peaceful. But I do kinda miss the crowing.

4. chaim

chaim Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Separated him this morning, he has been in my garage for a couple of hours, my friend is coming soon to pick him up.
    But HELP!! one hen is bleeding (head area - I haven't caught her yet to examine properly)
    I think the pecking order is kicking into place real quick now that he's gone

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We got rid of our roo about two weeks ago. The girls don't seem to miss him at all. A few squat for me now but our egg production is up and we don't have a lot of hens with broken feathers or bloody combs.
    A few of our hens got into fights after we removed him but that settled down within a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by