1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will hens that come of age in late November not lay till spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aleisha, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Aleisha

Aleisha Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hi,

We are raising our first small flock. The chicks hatched mid-July and have just reached egg laying age. I'm wondering if, because of the time of year, we should not expect eggs until spring.

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    what breeds do you have . they should lay before spring. i have some rhode island reds and black sexlinks that are just starting to lay at 20 and 22 weeks old.

3. Aleisha

Dec 4, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    We have a Buff Orpington, 2 Americaunas, 2 Silkies, and one Bantam Frizzle. Plus a sweet little white leghorn roo. The Americaunas joined our flock recently. They are a a few weeks older and each laid one egg when they arrived two weeks ago but we've seen nothing since. Maybe it's the day light or the stress of coming into a new flock?

4. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have 2 pullets that just started.

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I had one start today! She is about 30 weeks! Still waiting for three others!

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Short answer--No. When first-year layers are ready to start they will, regardless of season or weather. On the other hand, they may not lay as often and, depending on breed, take their own sweet time about starting, but they will lay

7. Aleisha

Dec 4, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies! What are EEs and some of the other acronyms I've been reading?

8. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    EE is easter egger. They are a mix breed chicken that lays colored eggs (typically) Our EE Daisy lays blue eggs!

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I just had a Silkie start laying about a week ago, and she was the only one of close to 50 to lay a couple of days. She was hatched in March from a breeder. I have another one that started laying 2months ago and is younger than her. It all depends on the bird. I have quite a few Giants and Orps that hatched in mid June, so I don't expect to see eggs from them very young. I will take them as they come though and not complain. It is just balancing out the times when I am flooded with eggs.

Aleisha,
    Stick around on here and you will learn a lot. There are stickies for different subjects too that you can check out. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks on there that have been raising chickens for a long time.
    Good luck with your clucks.

[​IMG]

10. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Do you use artificial light in the coop? If the girls don't get enough light, they may wait to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by