Will her comb grow??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ruth Ann, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    My silver laced wyandotte is about 3 1/2 months old. Her comb is suppose to be a rose comb. So far...there isn't much of a comb at all...mostly just a bit of a raised area. Will it become more of a
    comb as she gets older? She has such pretty color and marking...but without a comb she looks like a buzzard...LOL The roo we had that was a SL had a regular looking comb. It was large by the time we sent her to the neighbors to live.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Mine are 17 weeks old today, and their comb has grown signifigantly over the past couple of weeks. Mine are from Ideal, but wyandottes are supposed to mature slowly, I'm sure yours will grow her comb soon, around the point of lay time.

3. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    OK...thanks [​IMG]

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I have 3 RIRs and 2 of them have pretty big combs while one's comb is still very very small and compact. I also have 2 australorps and one has a very big pronounced comb and one has a very very small comb. I have 3 domiques and one has a very long point at the back of her rose comb while the other two have almost no point at all. Mine are all 7 months old, all of them are laying, and came from the same hatchery at the same time. I think within the breeds you can have various comb sizes and some of them will never have "big" combs and waddles.

5. magic maker

magic maker Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    My silver laced has just a flat pink triangle where her comb should be. My husband calls her "The turkey". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by