Will her eggs always be this small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuntrychick, Nov 8, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I've got this black pullet (not sure if BA, BJG, or mix) that's 20 weeks old & she just started laying the other day. I posted about it. I found 2 very small eggs in the same day & one of them was in the nest box along with a bigger egg. I'm not positive she layed both small eggs or not or the big regular egg for that matter. I have 2 other POL pullets but haven't seen them in the nest box at all.

Well, over the past few days, I've gotten a total of 4 of the really small eggs...assuming all from the black pullet.

I've had POL pullets before & know that many times their eggs are smaller, but these are really small. I've never had any this small. Will they ever get bigger?

Is this a typical egg size for a pullet just starting to lay or are these considered "fart" eggs? The other two like this I cracked did have yolks & appeared to be fertilized.

Here's a couple pics that has 2 of these eggs next to a regular egg. I put a quarter in one of the pics to show size comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    And to me, they still look smaller in person than they do in the pictures...lol

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They will get bigger. She is a large breed, correct? It took my BR a while to get in the hang of it.

I have a small standard that hasn't greatly improved her egg size though. She has been laying for nearly a month.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The hybrids seem to launch with larger egg sizes and rapidly increase from there. At just a week or two of laying, the ISA's start laying large, super large, jumbo eggs. Not so with our BR or RIR. It has been rather tedious waiting for the eggs to get larger. They have managed to increase the size to a solid medium after two months, but larges are still rather an oddity. I take it as a sign of their breeding and since they are more on the heritage side of things, I'm not overly concerned.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    They should get bigger with time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by