Will her feathers ever grow back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elisabeth44, Sep 30, 2015.

1. elisabeth44

elisabeth44 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    We clipped my hens wings last summer and it's fall now I'm pretty sure she's already mullted ( all my others have) but her wing feathers still haven't grown back. My flock sleeps up in some rafters in our makeshift chicken coop shed but she can't fly up there. Dose anyone know anything about how fast feathers grow back?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the entire feather shaft falls out, the feather will grow back fairly soon. If just a bit of the shaft is left in, the feather will not grow back until the molt. But it should grow back during the molt.

Not all hens molt at the same time. Pullets in their first laying season often skip the molt their first fall and don’t molt until the following fall. Sometimes they do molt but often they don’t. It’s possible she is just late starting to molt. That’s good because the late molters are normally better layers too. If she is a pullet it may not be until next fall.

3. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Ok thank you! I'm not sure why but she's actually never layed.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Ridge runner is as correct as it comes with his advice.

Now old is this bird and does she have any nest mates that have already started to lay?

5. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    . Over a year and yes all of them

6. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    Sorry, but she may never lay and she likely has serious health problems.

7. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA

8. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Are you sure "she"'is a hen?

Do you have a pictured of her?

Roosters don't lay eggs ... ;)

9. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens physically are very different from humans. There are many many poultry ailments that are in effect incurable. Many of these ailments or diseases (especially the viral ones) leave a chicken a carrier for life of the infection it has. Besides none of these diseases have an effective treatment or cure and it is in fact against the law for science to develop a treatment or vaccine for some of the worst chicken diseases because a vaccine would in effect render any test for these disease agents ineffective by giving a false positive reading on vaccinated birds. And an effective treatment would only create more sick birds as they would continue to shed the viruses that made them sick in the first place. In a case like this it becomes a question of the safety, or at least the wholesomeness of the food supply. Chickens however have the ability to recover from physical injuries or insults that would kill most humans. So do whatever you wish to do with the bird in question because I doubt that anything you do with the possible exception of improving the hen's diet or worming her will make a difference. And if her nest mates are laying up to their potential, then this hen's diet at worst is likely to be "good enough"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  10. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by